Medusa for Cassandra backup and restore
Medusa for Apache Cassandra® is deployed by a K8ssandra Operator install, based on the Medusa Custom Resource Definition (CRD).
If you haven’t already installed a K8ssandraCluster using K8ssandra Operator, see the local install topic.
Even with the heightened availability of Apache Cassandra® a proper backup schedule and testing of restore procedures is good practice in case catastrophe strikes. With distributed systems backups can be tricky, there’s the timing of the snapshot process on all nodes, correlation of data files to remote storage, and eventual restore.
K8ssandra provides Helm charts for taking backups or triggering the restoration of data. This is accomplished via the Medusa for Apache Cassandra project from The Last Pickle and Spotify.
Supported storage objects
K8ssandra’s Medusa supports:
Google Cloud Storage (GCS)
All S3-compatible implementations, which include:
- IBM Cloud Object Storage
- OVHCloud Object Storage
- Riak S2
- Dell EMC ECS
- CEPH Object Gateway
- Others - this list is not exhaustive
- Backup and restore Cassandra with S3-compatible MinIO.
- Backup and restore Cassandra with Amazon S3.
- Backup and restore Cassandra with Google Cloud Storage.
- For information about using a superuser and secrets with Medusa authentication, see Medusa security.
- For reference details, see the K8ssandra Operator Custom Resource Definitions (CRDs).
- Also see the topics covering other components deployed by K8ssandra Operator.
- For information on using other deployed components, see the Tasks topics.
Was this page helpful?
Glad to hear it! Please tell us how we can improve.
Sorry to hear that. Please tell us how we can improve.